-->

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Writing Challenge: Round Two

Day 18: A story set in a ghost town.

--
We recently moved to Jorgetown. By we, I mean my family. What's left of them, anyways. Ever since my mom left, my dad and brothers have been having a hard time adjusting. Calling us four a functional 'family' would be far too much of an overstatement.

The town seemed different from all the other towns we've been to. There were no personas bustling through the sidewalks, no shops with glaring signs surrounding them, and no children playing outside their houses in their yard like how they did back in my hometown.

I found it odd but didn't question it, for the community pool was desolate and all mine. Well, mine and my brothers. Same difference.

I'm currently on my way to the pool when I suddenly see someone I've never seen before.

A boy, around my age, with headphones plugged into his ears, bobbing his head. He takes one out when he sees me and smiles. "I've been here for quite a while and I've never seen you here."

My eyes widen in dismay at his boldness. He just talked to me as if I were another one of his friends, with such ease and confidence. "Well, I just moved here."

"Where ya from?" he says as he comes closer and I begin to question his unusual appearance. His pale face doesn't fit in with the bright sun and lack of trees in this town, it's just not possible for someone to be this darn pale. He's also wearing long sleeves on a hot day. 

Something about him looks familiar.

"A small town called Cloros. So, you live here? The place is pretty quiet," I say, hoping to get some information about why the place is so empty.

"I guess you can say I live here and I guess you can say this place has a bad rep," he says while scratching his blonde hair and smiling.

"Bad rep? Why?" I ask but he doesn't get the chance to reply when my father emerges into the room.

"Who are you talking to, honey?" he asks with concern woven in his features.

"Um, this guy I met. Introduce yourself," i turn around to face him but he's not there.

"What guy?" my dad pushes but I shake my head in disbelief.

"He was just here...You heard his voice though, right dad? 

"Nope, but I heard you loud and clear," he responds, confused at my weird behavior.

When I don't respond, my dad decides to leave and tells me to be back at the house by 6. 

The moment he leaves, the boy appears again.

"Hey, where did you go?" I ask, despeeate for answers.

He merely winks at me before saying,"Not everything's what it seems." 

"That doesn't answer my question," I mutter.

He sighs before saying, "You really aren't all that bright, are you?"

I feel a pang of answer hit me and I begin to protest. "Please, I'm one of the top students in my class." 

"I was too," he says with a sad smile lingering on his lips.

Was?

"You a drop out or something...?" I ask, befuddled.

The boy laughs and I join along, not because anything was particularly funny, but because his laughter was just so contagious. It was impossible not to join in. "So you're smart but not bright, beautiful, and funny?" 

I feel the heat rise to my cheeks when he says that and I try to hide it by covering my face with my hair. "Don't flatter me."

The guy moves a piece of hair from my face before sighing. "I haven't flattered anyone in decades. Consider yourself lucky." 

"I never was one to really enjoy compliments."

"You seemed to enjoy the one I just gave you a few moments ago."

I shoot a look at him before saying, "That doesn't count. I don't even know you." 

"You don't have to know me for a compliment to count."

"So anyways," I say quickly, "what's your name, kid?"

"Don't call me kid, I'm older than you," he responds with a chuckle.

"Yeah, okay," I say sarcastically. "So what's your name?"

"Patrick Square." 

I freeze in place when he says those words.

My childhood best friend's name was Patrick Square...before the accident.

"P-Patrick?" 

"Wendy," he responds.

"You look so different," I manage to say under my breath in awe. Was this seriously happening?

"You do too, love. You look so...grown. So different," he says with a gentle smile.

"I'm confused, how is it that you look my age? Actually, how is any of this possible in general?" I exclaim and begin having a hard time breathing. He walks over to me and starts patting me on the back, but I'm tempted to flinch away from him. He wasn't supposed to be here. 

"I can't explain."

"Then what can you explain?"

He looks at me thoughtfully for a moment before saying,"I can explain that I hate being alone and I want my best friend back, so I followed you back here, to this ghost town."

"BUT HOW?! YOU...YOU ARENT..." I try to say but be stops me from continuing. 

"Don't say it. Just love me."

"I do."

The end 


No comments:

Post a Comment